Sunday, March 28, 2010

Office 2.0


The Easter break is approaching and I'm feeling exhausted; after a week a work and supervision in London on Thursday evening the critical faculties are some what limited. I fear this entry might be not be as fluent or thoughtful as usual.

The cloud computing is an exceptional development and has great potentiality. I would happily investigate the implications of the "cloud" further. I feel it is going to be revolutionary in the future, in the way we work and conceive of the ownership of our documents and applications. It raises technical and ethical issues which are only partially perceived at at present.

I feel the "cloud" is a useful too giving ease of accessibility from remote locations so long as a there is a computer and Internet connection. A particularly good use of Office 2.0 is perhaps when wishing to share a particularly large document with a colleague. Frequently, I have found that conventional email applications do not permit the transmission of large email attachments with complicated formatting. The cloud permits this operation to be performed. I wonder if the cloud will replace the ubiquitous USB device. The cloud provides for mass storage and back up and wonder how this will compete with the increasing storage capacity and cheapness of other devices. The introduction to this exercise mentions further advantages of cloud; that there is no longer a need for security patchs, updates and upgrades as this will be done in the cloud and, that compatibility is no longer an issue for collaborators. The cloud will contain our creatvity and this raises questions about the integrity of the creative endeavour what constitutes document and author!

I found Goggle Docs exceptionally easy to use. I was able to view a useful document from Lucile Desligneres. I found Google Docs exceptionaly easy to navigate. I discovered the online dictionary with links to Wikipedia and handy synonymns. The formating functions were limited but perhaps this an advantage when using Goggle Docs to share documents as tricksey formatting can make document unnnecessary difficult to read.I created a document in Google Documents to share with the 23 Things Team. I included a picture and link to wikipedia. I changed the colour and style of font to make it more attractive

I would certainly consider using Google Docs in a collaborative environment

PS I also experimented with the form!

0 comments:

 

Martha Braithwaite Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template