Friday, April 2, 2010

Great Gadgets and Wonderful Widgets continued...


Having gobbled down lunch and done my stint at Bowyer's Arms in aid of the Village Plan I can now return to my penultimate post for 23Things.

Finally I add delicious to iGoogle home page. First I make room by deleting UKeIG blog - no-one has "yammered away" since March 2009. I left their news and announcements feed as this had been updated. I went to add stuff and searched for "delicious". Some interesting gadgets for Delicious, low fat vegan cooking which looked interesting and would probably offer some healthy alternatives to my regular diet but not what is required for this exercise. Also there was Banana Rama to help two hungry monkeys get some delicious bananas. Typing in del.icio.us brought up more appropriate widgets. Interestingly, they did slightly different things, for example: "nuage delicieux" a french site for the cloud display of you delicious tags, and "oishii "showing most popular sites recently booked marked by delicious users. Glancing through the delicious gadgets and their descriptions I selected "My Delicious". The "My Delicious" abstract seemed to suggest it would do everything I want; "get a delicious hotlist right on your home page, browse bookmarks or see the latest entries from your networks, easily switch user ... ." In selecting this gadget the criteria I used were the providence of the gadget feeling that a "google gadget" was likely to work and be reliable. I checked the starred rating and number of users and reviews to aid my selection. Needless to say I was also influenced by the attractive icon. I set the parameters to "Fiona" and realised I had retrieved all the delicious sites belonging to any "Fiona". Making it more specific my delicious sites appeared happily displaying my latest entries on "cloud computing and libraries". This is very useful and will remind me to find time to read them. I really believe 23Things isn't going to come to an end with is task and the final post which follows. I add the picture above - I learnt how do this from an earlier task accomplished from way back in week one or week two!
I like the "editors picks" . It is an ideal way to promote various gadgets particularly as there are so many of them - one for everyone and everything; daily horoscopes, BBC Good Food, a "day since counter" and "Sudoku". The abstracts are clear and informative. I had already added National Rail enquiries to my iGoogle page. I wonder who the "editor" is and how often the picks are updated especially as the gadget "Vancouver 2010 Olympics Games", schedules, results, medal counts for 2010 Winter Olympics must now be out of date. It was a popular widget with 3,352 users, 21 ratings and starred at 4 1/2. This rather prompts me to note that one's iGoogle page probably should be regularly refreshed and like this blog will never be as perfect or complete as one would like. With the elections looming I was tempted by "TheyWorkFor You" gadget, the abstract of which reads "Information on MPS from TheyWorkForYou.com" It has five stars, one review and 2,334 users. I feel the number of users will increase in the coming weeks.

Sadly my last post approaches

0 comments:

 

Martha Braithwaite Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template